Greetings Mediation Center Supporters,
The power of recent organizing by youth impacted by mass school shootings is invigorating and heartening, yet we mourn the loss of life that has inspired it. As we genuinely celebrate the much needed politicization and action that is growing out of their protest, we continue advocating for an analysis of gun violence that includes the experiences of the vast number of Americans who live in neighborhoods that are plagued by gun violence on regular basis. People of color are disproportionately impacted by gun violence and have long been organizing and advocating for safer communities for everyone. Thank you to everyone that has reached out to us in the recent weeks, we believe that all of us together can truly make the world a safer, healthier place. If you would like to share the efforts of Youth Organizing to Save Our Streets, please share this video widely!
We’re excited to share with you all that’s coming up this month at the Crown Heights Community Mediation Center! Check out below for a list of what’s on our calendar. Please stay tuned into our social media for information about the upcoming CPR class at S.O.S. Bed-Stuy. Justice Community Plus is currently enrolling Crown Heights residents ages 16-20 who are interested in improving themselves and their communities, and earning up to $1600. Interested? Apply ASAP here.
This month, we’ll be starting a biweekly community canvass. If you’re interested in coming to canvass with us on Wednesday nights to spread the message of safer and healthier communities, please contact Leah and Karolin at email@example.com. We challenge you to join us and to bring a friend!
Participatory Budgeting is right around the corner and this year the Crown heights Community Mediation Center will be overseeing the outreach process. We’re looking for volunteers to assist with the outreach and staffing the poll sites. If you or anyone you know is interested, you can email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 718-773-6886 for more information.
We would also like to take this time to draw attention to a few of our events that are still far away, in case you’d like to prepare something special for them. This year’s Paving the Way Conference will be taking place on Friday, April 20th and brings together like-minded individuals and focuses on “channeling resilience” for young men of color who have been harmed by violence. If you or someone you know is interested in presenting at the conference, please click here. Applications are due on March 9th. If you are interested in attending the conference, register here.
We hope you’ve been working on your Arts to End Violence artwork! Arts to End Violence, an annual art show and celebration of local talent, neighborhood pride, and community building, will take place on May 24th. Submissions will be accepted until April 25th. If you work with youth or young adults and would like to request a free workshop for your group, complete our request form here.
- Legal Hand Volunteer Info Session March 1st, 1:00-2:00pm: Want to volunteer with Legal Hand? Come to this information session at Legal Hand (250 Kingston Avenue) to learn more about how to volunteer, what training is like, and to have all your questions answered! For more information or to RSVP, call 718-619-4248.
- Computer Workshop March 5th, 6:00-7:30pm: This workshop, at Legal Hand (250 Kingston Avenue), will teach attendees the basics of using a computer. Please call 718-619-4248 to RSVP–pizza will be provided!
- Income Discrimination Workshop with NYC Commission for Human Rights March 7th, 6:00pm: Staff from the New York City Commission for Human Rights will be at Legal Hand (250 Kingston Avenue) to explain your rights! It is illegal for landlords to refuse to rent an apartment to someone because they have public assistance vouchers. Food will be provided! Please RSVP at 718-619-4248.
- S.O.S. 2018 Talent Show March 17th, 1:00pm: Come celebrate the incredible talent of our community! The talent show, happening at P.S. 289 (900 St. Marks Avenue), will be full of high-energy performances, with free swag for attendees and performers! More info? Call 718-773-6886.
- Free Mammogram Van March 26th, 2:00-4:30pm: The mammogram van will be offering free digital mammograms and clinical breast exams for women aged 40 and older who are currently living in NYC and have not had a mammogram in the past 12 months. Come to Legal Hand (250 Kingston) for your free screening! Appointments are required and can be made by calling 718-619-4248 or 1-877-628-9090.
- How to File Complaints of Police Misconduct March 26th, 6:00pm:Come by Legal Hand, located at 250 Kingston Avenue, to learn about how to file complaints of police misconduct in four areas: force, abuse of authority, discourtesy, and offensive language. Food will be provided! Please RSVP at 718-619-4248.