SNAP/ Food Stamp Reimbursement 

(reposted from Team Tish blog)

Individuals who receive SNAP (food stamps) will be reimbursed on their EBT card, for 50% of their monthly allotment to help purchase food lost due to the storm. People who receive SNAP and lost more than 50% of their food for the month because of the storm, may be able to get reimbursed for more of their lost food by completing and submitting this form.

People who receive SNAP will be able to temporarily purchase hot/prepared food from retailers licensed by the Food and Nutrition Service of the USDA, using their SNAP benefits until November 30th.

People who lost food but not on food stamps, MAY be eligible for a reimbursement to cover the cost of spoiled food due to power outages from ConEdison. The application for that program is attached and available by following the link here

Resources from the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) 

The US Small Business Administration offers two types of disaster-relief loans to businesses:
  • The Business Physical Disaster Loan helps replace or restore damaged property.
  • The Economic Injury Disaster Loan addresses economic damage (e.g. lost revenue). 
Application Filing Deadlines:
  • Physical Damage: December 31, 2012  
  • Economic Injury: July 31, 2013
For more information, call (800) 659-2955, email, or visit Deaf and hard-of-hearing individuals may call (800) 877-8339.

Resources from NYC’s Economic Development Corp. and Dept. of Small Business Services

Emergency loans are available for businesses that experienced an interruption in business. Loans will be capped at $25,000. Visit or call 311 and ask for NYC Business Emergency Loan.

Federal Disaster Assistance (FEMA)

Anyone affected by Sandy – homeowners, renters, and businesses – can apply for federal disaster assistance. They can register at or by calling 1-800-621-3362.

Unemployment Assistance

Anyone unemployed due to Hurricane Sandy is immediately eligible for unemployment benefits or disaster unemployment assistance and can submit a claim to the Department of Labor. You can apply by calling 1-888-209-8124. Application deadline is December 3, 2012. 


Those with questions about insurance / filing insurance claims should call the NYS Department of Financial Services emergency hotline. Call 1-800-339-1759 to speak to an expert. Hours of operation are 8AM to 8PM weekdays, 9AM to 4PM weekends.

Legal Assistance

Several services are offering free legal assistance to those affected by Hurricane Sandy. Types of assistance typically include help with insurance claims, preparing powers of attorney, help with guardianships, and preparing new wills and other lost legal documents.
For more information, please visit, or
The New York Legal Assistance Group (NYLAG) has mobilized a legal aid disaster relief program to help victims of the storm deal with a range of legal issues, including: FEMA claims, consumer matters, accessing public benefits, housnig, family law matters, replacing lost documentation/identification, and other issues. NYLAG is setting up legal access points throughout the areas most affected by the storm; please visit for updates on locations. To organize for NYLAG attorneys and/or the Mobile Legal Help Center to visit your agency, email Individuals seeking assistance with legal issues can call NYLAG’s hotline at 212-584-3365 or email

US IRS Tax Relief

Extended deadlines apply to New York taxpayers, tax professionals, and relief workers directly affected by Hurricane Sandy. The New York State Department of Tax and Finance has extended tax deadlines to November 14, 2012. The IRS is also postponing various tax filing and payment deadlines starting in late October, giving affected taxpayers until Feb. 1, 2013, to file these returns and pay any taxes due. This tax relief is automatic for affected taxpayers whose address of record is in the federally-declared disaster area. All other affected taxpayers must self-identify for disaster relief by contacting the IRS at 1-866-562-5227

For more information about this assistance, please visit or a local Taxpayer Assistance Center at (212) 719-6631