The Mediation Center is seeking a School and Community Specialist to create and run a group for middle school students at the Launch Charter School in Crown Heights and support youth-focused programs including school and community-based workshops and presentations. These initiatives will serve young people who live or go to school in Central Brooklyn and have been affected by gun violence.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Co-facilitate and/or facilitate after-school workshops two to three days a week for a group of middle schoolstudents who have been overexposed to violence and chronic adversity
- Create or work with a team to create a curriculum that addresses conflict, community violence, masculinity, trauma, leadership development, and service learning
- Engage family members in setting healthy goals with the students and envisioning a positive future
- Plan engaging service learning projects and other activities
- Keep records and documentation on activities conducted
- Communicate with school personnel about any relevant issues
- Build connections with community-based organizations, individuals, and schools for ongoing collaborations.
- Conduct school visits to lead workshops or presentations on conflict resolution, violence prevention, “Arts to End Violence,” and other Mediation Center initiatives.
- Communicate regularly with the Mediation Center about school-based activities
- Attend grade team meetings and assist with strategic planning around school culture
- Work with a team to mediate community conflicts that involve the youth in the group
- Provide professional development opportunities for school staff and trainings for parents
- Co-facilitate and eventually lead a trauma-informed advisory group based on the Sanctuary Model
Read the full job description and apply here: http://www.courtinnovation.org/employment/school-and-community-specialist