After the youth in YO S.O.S. graduate from the program, they spend their summers working, interning, or attending camps where they can continue to build on the skills they developed in YO S.O.S. In preparation for this coming summer, the staff and youth organizers of YO S.O.S. have begun searching for summer employment opportunities for program participants.
Both staff and youth organizers are on the lookout for promising jobs and internships. Over the next few months, staff will work with the youth organizers to find and identify organizations and activities the youth organizers would like to be a part of over the summer. YO S.O.S. will support the youth organizers as they apply and interview for these jobs and internships. The youths will then set out over the summer on experiences that will help them keep developing into effective messengers, advocates, and activists.
In the past community members and supporters of YO S.O.S. have helped in a variety of ways.
- YO S.O.S. supporters have donated money to fund a Youth Organizer’s unpaid internship
- Local business owners have agreed to interview Youth Organizers for positions in their stores
- Youth programs with summer jobs components have opened their doors to YO S.O.S.
- Programs and companies have hired Youth Organizers!
- Supervisors have written letters on behalf of Youth Organizers to encourage others to hire from YO S.O.S.
To reach this goal, YO S.O.S. is searching for opportunities far and wide. If you know of any organizations interested in bringing on talented and motivated high schools students over the summer, please be in touch with YO S.O.S. at 718-679-9414 or firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com.